While it was raining on and off all day today, we worked on on the task of recycling some of our C rafters from yesterday and make fresh ones to make a grand total of fifteen rafters which will complete the framework for the Front Porch roof.
We sliced down C9 rafter to become C10, then C10 down to make C11 and so on to the final one of C12 being made into C13. We took outside (in between showers) C13 and it fitted much better this time around!
Then we made a fresh C9 and continued making new ones for C6, C5 etc. down to C1. The only complication was the 20degrees bevelled angle cuts was not possible to do in one go in the chop saw so we had to do it in two separate stages. Not so bad after we have sorted out the puzzle of which way round to put things and made another jig!
After lunch, we went outside to measure the four rafters for the small side portions of the porch roof, two on the B section and two on the D side. Using our large right angle framing square, we managed to project across from existing rafters to find the correct position where the upper ends of the new rafters will meet the hip diagonal rafter. Back in the workshop, we proceeded to put in the Bird’s mouth (after adjusting the jig template to 33 degrees) and then sliced a very acute angle on the top ends. This angle is 20degrees and we used our large Bevel Slicing Machine again for this task!
Hopefully on Thursday, weather permitting, we will get all these fifteen rafters up and have this porch finish. We then will start making the framework to build up the extension to the roof for the Side Porch, extending sideway the E section of the roof (going towards the garage) and producing a gable end so the wall can be extended upwards too. We have new timber arriving for this job soon we hope.