Today we started work on our second porch, the one over the side door situated in our Utility Room. We took our technical drawing, two lengths of our new fatter 95mm by 45mm timber and created several pieces to build up the framework to form the basic roof shape.
The horizontal ridge sits on a vertical leg and braced by two diagonal struts, with a slight clearance at the bottom to allow the extra thick cement boards to fit. This was glued and screwed together in horrible cold rainy weather – yukk!
After that, we fetched two more lengths of timber and proceeded to slice one of these into three pieces to form the “E” rafters (E10, E11 and E12) which continues up the roof slope following from the original main rafters E10, E11 and E12 and join up to the horizontal Ridge beam. We didn’t put these up as it was still raining and rather wet on our wood work so that will be tomorrow’s job if it is dry!!