Sep 262018
 

This morning, we finished off the creation of the End Caps for all of the 33 rafters of the Skylight. They had a pilot hole drilled into the sticking out tab bit, and then this tab was reduced so it could slide into the end of the rafter bars. Finally, they were all given a bit of a rub to smooth edges and remove burrs.

End Caps All Done, First 27 Rafter Bars Also Done

End-caps-finished


Then, after lunch, we got on with the task of slicing up our stock of rafter bars with their covers, which was supplied as nine lengths of 3metres long and 5 lengths of 4.8metres. These were first sliced into more manageable pieces, before one end (including the white cover at the same time) had a 15degree bevel cut. We did the first 27 rafter bars measuring 1328mm long at the base (plus another 4mm for the angle cut).
End Caps All Done, First 27 Rafter Bars Also Done

Rafter-glazing-bars-cut-to-length


Then we made another template to hold the ends of each rafter bar with one of the end caps, both centralised, which allowed us to drill another hole into the aluminium bars. A stainless steel screw was inserted to lock the end cap into place.
End Caps All Done, First 27 Rafter Bars Also Done

End-caps-attached


Tomorrow, we will finish that job and then tackle the next tricky task of drilling clearance holes for the fixing bar near the bottom of each polycarbonate sheets!

 Posted by at 6:08 pm