Mar 302019
 

Another week is done and we are progressing on the roof putting Slates on the J roof segment and Guttering on the next four sections from L to O.
We came back from our trip down south and resumed work on Tuesday by completing the valley line of slates and did a further three more lines up the diagonal before we got too close to the hip corner joining the L segment of the roof. We couldn’t continue because we wouldn’t been able to climb up over the hip to get to the higher rows of slates without having the next set of tile battens nailed up (to act as the ladder!).

Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

End-of-26th-March


So for the next couple of days, we got on with installing more of the Oak timber guttering, continuing from the corner of K and L, completing L and going around along M and N plus also the last section O we got along the back of the building (and have scaffolding platforms installed).
Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Gutters-L-M-N-Attached-1

Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Gutters-L-M-N-Attached-2

Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Gutter-O-attached



We quickly put up more of the hip support layers of plywood strips on the N and O corner and cut off the overhanging pieces to make a neat squared off ends. The other corner K and L was also cut and made neat too. This means that the task of fibre-glassing with black resin was done on all four corners (two outside hip coroners and two inside downpipe channels valley corners) in one session.
Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Corners-and-Downpipe-channels-fibreglassed-1

Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Corners-and-Downpipe-channels-fibreglassed-2

Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Outside-corner-with-fibreglass-over-hip



The last piece of work of the week, was starting to install the rubber liners inside the gutters whereas we laid in the 9 metre long rubber membrane for the K section. We decided to try a different order of doing things and this time, we applied the wet rubber latex solution on the base of the oak gutters first, laid the rubber down and then tackled each ends separately. The ends were also done differently, doing each flat surface in turn with the contact adhesive and getting a much better result with a very neat flat finish.
Slates on J Roof and Progress on Gutters

Rubber-lining-for-K-glued


On the next week, we will continue putting in more rubber liners for the gutters for L, M, N and O (the O section, we will have to do the outside hip corner O P (we left it undone thinking we could do that later when we move around to do P) but we realised that we do need to have half of it installed so we can lay the rubber in the O segment and also have all the sections of the back of the building completed and be able to move all our scaffolding platforms in one go and move to tackle the next portion of the building’s roof) Then we will start laying down the breathable membrane all the way along and so on.

 Posted by at 6:00 pm