Apr 272019
 

We started the new week by finishing off the “Hat” covering the Hips for J-K and K-L as well as the ridge between J-L roof slopes. We filled in the little pin holes in the top of the bull nosed with plastic padding filler, rubbed it all down and coated with another top glossy finishing coat of the resin.

Then we designed and constructed a template tool for making nail holes in a slate. These slates are the flashing slates to go up the hips to cover up the rubber membrane and the jagged edge of the main slates and provide rain protection at these joints.

Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Hip-Flashing-slate-hole-punch-1

Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Hip-Flashing-slate-hole-punch-2



We tested out our new tool by preparing about sixty slates to go up the J side of the Hip and Ridge which we duly went and installed them all!
Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Roof-J-Complete


After that, we got on with slating the K roof, like for example, on Wednesday, we did managed to put up an estimated 500 slates in a single day session which is amazing!
Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Roof-K-Half-Done


But it took another whole day (Thursday) to complete the K section, including all the flashing tiles. The bulk of the roof was just, almost, simply shoving the slates onto their hooks, but reaching the other Hip meant lots and lots of fiddling with angles and slicing slates to fit the last piece into place.
Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Roof-K-Done-1

Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Roof-K-Done-2

Flashing for J Hip Complete and the K Roof all Covered in Slates

Roof-K-Done-3



We are calling it a 2 day session to fully put up all the estimated 800 slates for the K segment so that is pretty good for us but we could beat that record when we get around to the front of the building for even bigger sections of roof to do!

Finally, we started filling in the tile battens on the L and M roof so we could start on slating them next week .. but Storm Hannah came along to disrupt our work with strong winds and rain showers so we only managed to do a couple of hours on Saturday morning!!

 Posted by at 5:00 pm